Italy is under the spell of the corona virus. Milaan-San Remo and Tirreno-Adriatico are under discussion. Today it was announced that the first gran fondo has been canceled.
Photo: Tutto Gran Fondo
The Gran Fondo Citta d'Ancona was planned for next Sunday, but it has been cancelled now. The reasons are part of the 'COVID-19 epidemiological emergency containment and management measures'. It is an authonomous decision from the organization in the region De Marche that goes against the official guidelines of the authorities.
We asked our partners Sportful Dolomiti Race and Giro delle Dolomiti how they view the current situation. Simon Kofler from the Giro delle Dolomiti: "The Giro delle Dolomiti event date is end July. We are part of Formula Bici, a representative organization for the most important and qualitive high-end amateur events in Italy (such as Nove Colli, Maratona and others) but, even though we observe attentively, nothing has happened and/or been communicated/ordered from the authorities yet. If the situation lasts much longer for sure events close to Milan will suffer. In our case participants don’t even fly to Milan but fly best to Verona or Innsbruck (Austria), Venice or even Munich, travel by car or train to Bolzano. Most likely there will be daily flights from Rome to Bolzano as of the end of May."
According to Anna Valerio from the Sportful Dolomiti Race is cancellation or preparations to such not relevant. "I think the media are slightly exaggerating. We work looking at June 21st! The Sportful Dolomiti Race isn’t in discussion. The positive side is that we go by bicycle in total safety because there are far fewer cars !!! It’s fantastic."
For the time being, the cancellation of a single gran fondo seems to be an incident. Other events are not in danger. Cyclokalender will follow the situation in Italy closely.